Baked Corn Bread Northern Style (Holiday Meal Collection)
Northern cornbread is a sweeter recipe than its Southern counterpart. Yes…there is truly a Northern and Southern recipe. Chef Raoul Gosselin….my dad, loves the Northern recipe and I will offer his interpretation here to honor his ability to make a meal that can leave you exhausted in food comfort bliss.
1 1/2 cup fresh stone ground yellow cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs
2/3 cup buttermilk
2/3 cup milk
2 tbsp butter, melted
1. Whisk cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt together in large bowl.
2. In a second mixing bowl, add eggs and whisk lightly
3. Add buttermilk and milk to egg.
4. Pour milk into the dry ingredients and spoon mix quickly until almost combined.
5. Add melted butter; stir until ingredients are just combined.
4. Pour batter into greased 9″ baking pan or my favorite a 10 cast iron skillet.
5. Bake until top is golden brown and lightly cracked and edges have pulled away from side of pan, about 25 minutes.
6. Transfer pan to wire rack to cool slightly, 5 to 10 minutes.
7. Cut cornbread into squares and serve warm.
Awesome and tasty recipe from the top chef in my family. The Chef Raoul is a genius in the kitchen.